University of California, Berkeley 8/2005-9/2010
Ph.D. in Computer Science, completed 9/2010
Master in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, completed 12/2007
University of California, Berkeley 9/2001-12/2004
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, graduated with honors
Minor in Business Administration
Cumulative GPA 3.8, technical GPA 3.9
Intel Labs China, Beijing China 9/2012-Present
Director, Analytics and IoT Research Laboratory
- Manages the Analytics and IoT Research Lab (AIR Lab), with projects in energy and environment, smart manufacturing, wearable and context-aware systems
Chief Architect, China Intel IoT Joint Labs
Microsoft Research Asia, Beijing China 10/2010-9/2012
- Accurate indoor location and geo-fencing based on magnetic-induction
- Human-building-computer interaction
- Wireless and mobile systems
- Real-time occupancy detection and energy tracking
- Mobile IPv6-based communication
- 1 U.S. patents granted, 2 under submission
Google, Palo Alto CA 6/2007-8/2007
- Designed scheduling and data exchange protocols of a novel CDMA/TDMA hybrid MAC, optimized for a next generation MIMO-based ultra-wideband PHY, targeted at “C” and “whitespace” TV bands.
- 4 U.S. patents granted
Intel Corporation, Santa Clara CA 2/2005-7/2005
Component Design Engineer
- Validation of Baseboard Management Controller (BMC) chip using SpecmanElite and Verilog. Constructed infrastructure to validate interrupts to the embedded ARC microcontroller from internal and auxiliary sources. Validated watchdog, SerialIRQ, GPIO, and several other components. Please refer to “BMC” on http://www.intel.com/design/servers/se7501br2/ for details.
Xilinx, San Jose CA 1/2004-7/2004
- Worked on the Gigabit System Reference Design (GSRD) project for high bandwidth systems. Designed part of the Communication Direct Memory Access Controller (CDMAC). Added coalescing interrupts, timers, support for all byte lengths and byte offsets in memory addressing.
- Designed a system to perform 3:2 video pull-down in hardware using ML300 board. Allowed video to be displayed in a moving window with animated background, using virtually no CPU time. It was used to demonstrate bandwidth and CPU utilizing of GSRD.
- Wrote interface to access and demonstrate “SystemMonitor” features of the upcoming Virtex-4 FPGA chip on the ML300 board. Worked closely using Xilinx’s Embedded Development Kit (EDK).
PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR THE PROJECTS PAGE
PAM: Pervasive Air-Quaity Monitoring
VeriCloud: Cloud-based Smartphone Geniune Verifications
LiveSynergy: Bridging the Gap between Virtual and Physical Worlds
SEPTIMU / MusicalHeart / LifeX
PhoneWeb: The Other Social Network
Green Soda Project is a real-time wireless energy monitoring, control, and visualization infrastructure for reducing energy consumption of Soda Hall. [link]
ACme: Berkeley Wireless AC Meter/Switch is an open source hardware and software platform that enables wireless energy/power measurement and control of AC devices. ACme uses an IPv6 based mesh network that enables direct IP communication with individual ACme nodes. [link]
SPOT: Scalable Power Observation Tool enables in situ measurement of nodal power and energy over a dynamic range exceeding four decades (as small as μA) or a temporal resolution of microseconds.
Prometheus is a multi-stage solar powered system architecture that utilizes sensor node’s microprocessor to intelligently and efficiently manage energy transfers between multiple storage elements, resulting in near perpetual operation. Prometheus is implemented in the Berkeley Trio motes.
Ultrasonic Ranging is a range estimation device I designed for use in the Network Embedded Systems Technology (NEST) project for high-fidelity localization.
BACKGROUND & SKILLS
- Wireless sensor networks and Internet-of-Things (IoT)
- Human-building-computer interactions and building energy
- Mobile and embedded systems
- Signal processing, system design, control systems, wireless communications
- Digital components and design, FPGA design
- Analog design, integrated circuits, mixed signal design
- Sensors and actuators design, digital-analog interfacing
- RESTful design, IPv6/6LowPAN
- Database systems, PostgresSQL, MySQL, MongoDB
- Fluent in spoken and written Chinese
HONORS & INTERESTS
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Fellowship (GRFP). 8/2006 – 8/2009
- Vodafone-US Foundation Fellows Initiative scholarship for research in wireless communications. 8/2004
- Engineering Joint Console Representative. Eta Kappa Nu (HKN) Electrical Engineering and Computer Science honor society. Berkeley 2002
- Avid badminton player. 1999-Present